May 1, 2014

Crystalline Hair Ties : Anthro Knock-off Week Day 5

Anthropologie Crystalline Hair Ties DIY

More sparkly accessories? Yes, please! Too bad Anthropologie's are $24 for a pack of three. Looks like it's time to get crafty! 

For those of you that are just joining the party, I've teamed up with 4 other awesome bloggers to bring you Anthro Knock-off Week! Every day for one week, all 5 blogs share a new Anthropologie inspired post, and on the last day, we're having a themed link-up. To see what the other bloggers have going on today, you can scroll to the end of this post, or check out our Pinterest board. 

 photo CrystallineHairTies_zps9c734440.jpg

You need:

  • Elastic bands – I found a pack of 5 at the dollar store for – you guessed it – only a dollar. They had a pretty good selection of colors, and you really cannot beat the price, even by making your own.
  • Beads and things – Michael’s has some cool geodes and whatnot. I’m currently on a geometric everything kick, and I was super excited by all the cool things they had.
  • Fabric Glue – I prefer Aleene’s Fabric Fusion.


Step One

To begin, we’ll need to untie all of the elastic bands so that they can lay flat to dry. If you don’t, you run the risk of your beads sliding off.

Step Two

Next, plan the placement of your embellishments. I did three minimalist ties with these really fun geode thingies I found (and they come in a bunch of different colors/tones), and two with a more world-traveler Anthro feel. One thing to consider is that the elastic wont stretch one it’s been covered in glue. I only decorated the middle sections to ensure that there was plenty of room for the bands to stretch around the beads. The larger the decorated area, the less stretch.


Step Three

Now you can glue! Using your fingers or a pair of tweezers, dip each bead into fabric glue, and then place it on your elastic. I recommend dipping them individually to make sure that they’re really secure. Painting the glue on the elastic can also work, but a) you’ll have to paint on a thick layer to make sure they don’t fall off once dry, and b) it’s easier to end up with misplaced glue.


Anthropologie Crystalline Hair Ties Knock-off

Step Four

Anndddd that was the easiest Anthro tutorial ever! They need to dry at least over night, and after that you can re-tie and wear them. Mine have held up great, and as a test I glued some beads to a piece of fabric, let them dry, and then tried to peel them off. It was actually pretty difficult, which gives me plenty of confidence that they’ll last.


Anthropologie Crystalline Hair Tie DIY



This post is part of Anthropologie Knock-off Week! Click on the photos below for four more fun tutorials. 





Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

8 comments:

  1. These are adorable!!! I love these ties, I am going to keep my eye out for beads to use

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonnet! I used up a bunch of beads I had leftover from another project, and it was a great way to use up my stash!

      Delete
  2. These are great, Brittany! I made some ties awhile back, but they were just plain. I have like 20 of them just begging for some glitz! Great tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, there's nothing wrong with plain! Maybe you can do half of the ones you already made - you'd end up with the best of both worlds.

      Delete
  3. Brittany, I am totally obsessed with these. I will be making some ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tasha! Let me know how they turn out!

      Delete
  4. Love it!!!! I am going to try to make these this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how they turn out! I love to see reader project pics :)

      Delete

 
Confessions of a Secret Crafter © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat